NBHS ELA Department Chairperson
District Supervisor of Talent Development
Office: NBHS, 7417 Kennedy Blvd, North Bergen, NJ 07047
Phone Number: (201) 295-2822/2823
Phone Number: (201) 295-2822/2823
The North Bergen School District values English Language Arts Literacy as the essential component of all education. By empowering students with the skills to read, write, speak, listen, and view critically, strategically, and creatively, we equip them with the tools to become lifelong, independent learners. This is accomplished by engaging students in meaningful literacy activities through a variety of media.
North Bergen ELA Vision
- Students will read a wide range of print and non-print texts to build an understanding of texts, of themselves, and of the cultures of the United States and the world; to acquire new information; to respond to the needs and demands of society and the workplace; and for personal fulfillment. Among these texts are fiction and nonfiction, classic and contemporary works.
- Students will read a wide range of literature from many periods in many genres to build an understanding of the many dimensions (e.g., philosophical, ethical, aesthetic) of human experience.
- Students will apply a wide range of strategies to comprehend, interpret, evaluate, and appreciate texts. They will draw on their prior experience, their interactions with other readers and writers, their knowledge of word meaning and of other texts, their word identification strategies, and their understanding of textual features (e.g., sound-letter correspondence, sentence structure, context, graphics).
- Students will adjust their use of spoken, written, and visual language (e.g., conventions, style, vocabulary) to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and for different purposes.
- Students will employ a wide range of strategies as they write and use different writing process elements appropriately to communicate with different audiences for a variety of purposes.
- Students will apply knowledge of language structure, language conventions (e.g., spelling and punctuation), media techniques, figurative language, and genre to create, critique, and discuss print and non-print texts.
- Students will conduct research on issues and interests by generating ideas and questions, and by posing problems. They will gather, evaluate, and synthesize data from a variety of sources (e.g., print and non-print texts, artifacts, people) to communicate their discoveries in ways that suit their purpose and audience.
- Students will use a variety of technological and information resources (e.g., libraries, databases, computer networks, video) to gather and synthesize information and to create and communicate knowledge.
- Students will develop an understanding of and respect for diversity in language use, patterns, and dialects across cultures, ethnic groups, geographic regions, and social roles.
- Students whose first language is not English will make use of their first language to develop competency in the English language arts and to develop understanding of content across the curriculum.
- Students will participate as knowledgeable, reflective, creative, and critical members of a variety of literacy communities.
- Students will use spoken, written, and visual language to accomplish their own purposes (e.g., for learning, enjoyment, persuasion, and the exchange of information).
(from the NCTE / IRA Standards for the English Language Arts)
The purpose of the North Bergen High School English Language Arts Website is to provide information for our school district's ELA teachers. The North Bergen High School ELA Website provides links to external websites created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. The links provided are for information purposes only; the presence of a link is not an endorsement by the site or its content. We are not responsible for the content of websites not controlled by the North Bergen School District. Use of information obtained from such websites is voluntary. Although every reasonable effort has been made to present current and accurate information, Internet content appears, disappears, and changes over time. Reference of these websites to any specific commercial products, process, service, manufacturer, company or trademark does not constitute its endorsement by the North Bergen School District.